How do I stop my Jack Russell whining so much?
You're encouraging him to whine
Dog whining is really annoying. Some dogs whine very rarely, but persistent and extended whining for attention is a negative behavioural trait that you need to correct.
A Jack Russell that whines constantly and persistently throughout the day has been mothered too much as a puppy, and has learned over time that whining results in reward or attention.
While your Jack Russell's whining might seem cute and make you feel sorry for him, sometimes you just have to be firm with your dog and teach him that whining will not result in reward at all.
You need to ignore him when the whining begins, or create an unpleasant stimulus as soon as it happens. You could spray water in his face whenever he starts whining. The dog will soon realise that whenever he whines, something unpleasant will happen.
Remember, we don't want to be cruel to our Jack Russell, we just need to create a negative stimulus that consistently happens every time he displays this inappropriate behaviour.
On the other hand, if whining persists even after taking these steps, it's a good idea to take him to the vet to make sure that the behaviour isn't being caused by any sort of medical issue. For example, joint pain might be making him upset.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Are Jack Russells good with cats?
- Are Jack Russells good with children?
- How can I keep my Jack Russell terrier from destroying my house?
- How can I stop my Jack Russell barking all the time?
- Tip: The most valuable trick to teach your Jack Russell
- How to house train your Jack Russell
- Why you should always be a reward-centric owner
- How do I stop my Jack Russell jumping up?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell growling?
- Use these 3 steps to get more respect and love from your Jack Russell
- Jack Russell separation anxiety
Get my free ebook instantly and receive instant updates on new posts. Join over 1,700 people in the Jack Russell Advice community:
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.
If you've found this page useful, please share: